Monday, June 30, 2014

Working Away vs. Working At Home

I think I struggle from the same issues many mothers do: working away from home to provide for the family versus working at home to spend more time with the family.

My situation is a complicated by the fact that I am currently a single mother who carries the health insurance for not only myself, but my son as well, through my employer.

I constantly go back and forth between the idea/possibility of working from home as a 'momtreprenuer' and remaining a 'working' mom. (that's in quotations because we all know that no matter where your income comes from, you're a working mother. Even if you have a sugar daddy, you're working something ;) )

There are two big reasons for me to remain in employment outside of my home: a steady paycheck & secure health insurance. Plus there is the adult interaction I get daily and I am forced to get up, get dress and get out of my house.

But then, there are also the drawbacks: The wear and tear on my car, plus gas, as I currently drive almost 15 miles each way, the time spent away from home is almost 11 hours a day and that's also 11 hours away from my son, not liking the people I work for/with, not being able to control how much I am paid. Plus, after sitting at a desk all day, I am mentally exhausted, but still have so much to do around the house.

If I were to start working from home, either doing some sort of Internet based employment or a direct sales sort of business, like Origami Owl, there would be some benefits to that: I would be able to pick my own hours and can structure my own day and there is no travel time for work. I can essentially make as much as I'm willing to work for, the more effort I put in, the greater the paycheck. It's not like that at my current job. Plus I will be able to spend more time with my son, which is most important. The biggest issues for me would be that I wouldn't have steady, consistent income and I would have to outsource health insurance. And as we all know, getting health insurance is not fun.

Has anyone else come across the struggle? What did you end up doing? I'm starting to feel like if I continue on the same path, my life will be lifeless and I don't want that.

No comments:

Post a Comment