Friday, January 3, 2014

Becoming a Better Gift-Giver

If you read my post from January 2nd, you would know that one of my New Year's resolutions is to become a better gift giver.
 
I enjoy giving gifts to people. And I know people enjoy getting them. Even if it's just a simple card with a note inside. People like to know that someone was thinking about them. I know I do. I love getting home and seeing an envelope that's not a bill or a box. It makes me happy.
 
Anyway, back to me and my steps I will be taking to become a better gift-giver.
 
1. Keep a gift-giving list. I have already started to do this. I have a small notebook and I have given my closest family (kids, parent, sibling) each a page. As the year goes on, I can add things as I hear people say they would like them or I get a good idea for a gift and I can scratch things off if they get the gift or are no longer interested in it.
 
2. Buy birthday cards in advance. The first birthday I have to worry about is my nephew's towards the middle of the month. So, my plan is to buy birthday cards for people having birthday's in the next few months. I also have a Greeting Card Case from the Container Store.
 
 

I purchased it a couple years ago with the intent to use it. Yeah, it didn't work so well. It probably didn't help that I kept it in the back of the closet. So I'm now going to keep it in a place more accessable.
 
3. Put a monetary value on gifts to people outside my immediate family. I have several close friends with children and depending on the amount in my bank account, I will spend different amounts for their children's birthdays. This isn't exactly fair. I'm putting a $20.00 limit on cash and a $30.00 limit on physical gifts.
 
4. Send more cards. I want to start sending cards to my friends and families on Mother's Day or for other occasions that warrant them.
 
5. Actually mail out holiday cards. My intention has been to get my son's Christmas pictures done and use those for the cards. (I like doing picture cards.) But this year, I think I'm going to use pictures from things we've done over the year.
 
So this is my plan of attack, per say, to be a better gift giver. I'm sure I'll think of more to add to this list and possibly modify some of it. But for now, this is it. I will be following up on my progress with this goal.
 
I hope everyone is having a safe, happy and healthy 2014 so far this year.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment