Saturday, January 4, 2014

Treating Myself Better

It's good to be selfish sometimes.
 
At least, that's what I should keep telling myself. As a mom, sometimes it's very difficult to remember that I need to take care of myself just as much as I need to take care of my son. After all, it's hard to be the best mom you can be when your not at your best.
 
By nature, I'm more of a giver than a taker. Add a kid in there, and it seems that's all I do. Give. To everyone else. Well, this year, as part of my goals, I have decided to make a point to take care of ME better. I know that I will be a better mom, employee, friend and daughter.
 
1. I will not feel guilty about having a family member watch my son so I can have some time to myself. This has been so difficult for me. But I know that it's okay to have my parents watch my son so I can go get my hair cut or a pedicure. It's okay. In the end, he's not going to be mad because he hung out with his grandparents for a couple hours so I can get a hair cut.
 
2. I will buy things for myself. I usually put off buying myself clothes, shoes and accessories. So my wardrobe has been lacking for a while. But it's a fact that when you feel that you are dressed well and look good, it shows in the way you present yourself. I'm a big fan of solids, so it should be easy for my to accessorize. This is what I'm going to focus on, getting myself some good basic clothing items and getting some really cute accessories.
 
3. I will do my hair and make-up everyday. My normal routine is to just put on moisturizer and throw my hair in a bun. This goes along with #2. If I take the time to actually dry my hair and put on at least a little make-up it will make me feel better about myself and that will translate to the way I carry myself.
 
4. I will get my hair and nails done on a regular basis. I actually love getting my hair done and I love getting pedicures. But I always put them off because I feel like I don't have anyone to watch my son. So one of my goals is to make regular appointments and keep them. And as with my previous goals, it will make me feel better about my appearance and that confidence will project.
 
5. I will take the time every day to 'go to bed.' I often am so tired that I just lie down and pass out, often with the TV on. I should be taking the time to wind down every night, by enjoying a cup of tea and reading a book, then cleaning myself up before bed.
 
The main goal of all of my resolutions is to be a better me, so they somewhat intertwine. Like eating healthier and being more active are ways for me to treat myself better. But the specific goal I wrote about here, treating myself better, is really about my taking them time and money to spoil myself once in a while and not feel guilty about it.
 
On an additional note, as I started to write this post, I actually took a break to read my devotional. My devotion for the day was aptly titled 'Setting Goals for This Year' and talked about how we get so involved with meeting the needs of others and often forget ourselves. It talked about how, on airplanes, they advise you to put on your oxygen mask first then help others, realizing that if the adult isn't getting enough oxygen, then they cannot properly help the child and both will perish. Then posed this "Are you getting enough "oxygen" in your life to be of maximum benefit to those around you? It is not a selfish gesture to set goals allowing you to "refill your cup.""
 
I read that and felt it was a sign. A sign that if I can't be the best me I can be, how can I be the best mom, daughter, friend, employee? 

No comments:

Post a Comment